Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program in Clinical Neuropsychology
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) offers a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in Clinical Neuropsychology. The program is offered exclusively to qualified United States Army active duty psychologists and cannot accept applications from civilians.
The WRNMMC Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program in Clinical Neuropsychology provides the final component of specialty education in clinical neuropsychology. Training and program standards are designed to fulfill criteria designated by the Houston Conference on Specialty Education and Training in Clinical Neuropsychology and the Association of Postdoctoral Programs in Clinical Neuropsychology. The program was first accredited by the American Psychological Association as a Postdoctoral Residency Training Program in the substantive specialty practice area of Clinical Neuropsychology on October 25, 2002 and has maintained active accreditation status. Questions related to the program’s accredited status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 336-5979
WRNMMC is a vibrant institution where opportunities for training in Clinical Neuropsychology abound. The medical center has a diverse patient population, a large number of accredited training programs, and an environment that promotes scientific inquiry. In addition, the Bethesda location also provides many advantages, and fellows have pursued training opportunities at sites including National Rehabilitation Hospital, NIH, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, and the National Intrepid Center of Excellence.
Bethesda is within the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and is an exciting place to live, with a broad range of cultural activities, professional and collegiate sports, and restaurants with every type of cuisine you can imagine. Bethesda is also within easy driving distance to beach and mountain resorts, and an easy car, bus, or train ride to Philadelphia or New York.
Examples of Training Opportunities Offered by WRNMMC Neuropsychology Fellowship Program:
- General neuropsychological evaluations to aid in neurological and psychiatric diagnosis and treatment planning, assist patients and families in adjusting to illness, and aid in military decision making. The majority of training takes place in the WRNMMC Neuropsychological Assessment Service, which serves highly diverse adult and older adult patient populations.
- Inpatient neuropsychological evaluations and consultations through the Inpatient Brain Injury/Neuropsychiatry Program.
- Collaboration with rehabilitation therapists providing specialty training in cognitive rehabilitation.
- Weekly Neuropsychology Distance Learning case conferences and reading seminars conducted in collaboration with other DoD, VAMC, and civilian fellowship training programs across the nation via video teleconference.
- Individualized military-relevant research projects. Recent fellowship research topics include neuropsychological aspects of combat injury, sleep deprivation, performance validity, and aeromedical fitness.
- Attendance at Neurology and PM&R rounds and other specialty rounds as available.
- Highly specialized neuropsychology service delivery including Wada testing and awake craniotomy cortical mapping conducted in multidisciplinary teams with the Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Interventional Radiology in support of the WRNMMC Epilepsy Surgery Program.
- Opportunity for off-site elective training in year two.
- Off-site Medical Neuroscience Course with Laboratory (audit).