Office of the Inspector General
Our mission is to inspect, investigate, or inquire into any and all allegations of fraud, waste, abuse and mismanagement at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC).
Our vision is to promote continuous improvements in management and program operations throughout WRNMMC through impartial and independent inspections, assessments, inquiries and investigations.
Our guiding principle is to support the Department of the Defense in maintaining the highest level of integrity and public confidence.
- Maximize the positive impact and ensure the independence and objectivity of inquiries, assessments, and investigations.
- Build relationships with program managers based on a shared commitment to improving program operations and effectiveness.
- Perform with the highest standards of ethical leadership.
- Always exercise fairness, impartiality, and timeliness in accomplishing our mission.
- Strive to continually improve the quality and usefulness of our products.
While anyone can come to the office of the Inspector General (IG), not all issues are appropriate for the IG to handle. We can, however, advise on the proper venue if needed.
Appropriate issues for the IG to handle are:
- Whistleblower reprisal–mandated to IG
- Fraud, waste and abuse
- Violations of regulation, law, or policy
- Health and safety issues
- Improper procedures
- Leaks of classified information
- Computer crimes
- Bribery and acceptance of gratuities
- Gross mismanagement
- Contract and procurement fraud
- Health care fraud
- Cost and labor mischarging
- Travel or purchase card fraud
- Systemic issues
Issues the IG does not handle are:
- Situations where there is another form of existing redress, such as CMEO, civilian personnel issues and safe harbor
- Non-support of family members
- Employment related grievances & HR complaints against management officials
- Personnel matters involving requests for individual relief
- Complaints of EEO/EO discrimination
- Hazardous work conditions
- Most criminal allegations (with the exception of whistleblower reprisal)
- Allegations of misconduct for a specific profession (i.e. JAG, doctors)
- Paternity cases or child custody
- TRICARE complaints
Please send Joint Inspector General Action Requests