About Us

Frequently Asked Questions Relating to the Soldier Recovery Brigade

Q: What is a Navy Exchange (NEX) Letter for a Non-dependent NMA or Caregiver?

A: A Navy Exchange Letter is a document that grants temporary shopping privileges for a non-dependent NMA or Caregiver that enables the individual to purchase items on behalf of an active duty member who is hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Additionally, the NEX letter will provide access and grant privileges to purchase items at the commissary at Forest Glen. However, non-dependent NMAs or Caregivers must be accompanied by an active duty member to access commissary privileges.

Q: Is there transportation to the Forest Glen Commissary?

A: Yes, Naval Support Activity Bethesda (NSA-B) and SRB-NCR shuttles make trips to the commissary at Forest Glen.

Q: How do I get Basic Life Support Training while I’m an NMA at NSA Bethesda?

A: Basic life support training, specifically, the “Heart Saver” class, can be taken by NMAs through the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center’s Education and Training Department. To schedule a class, contact Ms Christian Powell at 301-319-5209. Instruction is also provided on Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs). An AED is a portable, life-saving device designed to treat people experiencing sudden cardiac arrest.

Q: Define Non-Medical Attendant.

A: A Non-Medical Attendant is a person selected by an eligible Soldier, and approved by the Soldier’s attending physician and the Military Treatment Commander (in the case of the SRB-NCR, the approval authority is the CDR, SRB-NCR) who contributes in the healing and recovery of a WII soldier. This individual is placed on military orders which provides certain benefits to the individual. To be eligible for an NMA, a Soldier must be declared as “seriously ill, injured, or wounded”; or” very seriously ill, injured or wounded” by their attending physician and due to the illness, injury, or wounds, needs continuing outpatient treatment.

Q: Who can get Invitational Travel Orders (ITO)?

A: The NMA program allows physician-designated, seriously ill or injured, or very seriously ill or injured Soldiers to identify an individual to be placed on Invitational Travel Orders (ITO) to provide support and assistance to the Soldier as they heal and recover.

Q: What is Special Compensation for Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (SCAADL)?

A: SCAADL was authorized by the Fiscal Year 2010 National Defense Authorization Act. This special monthly compensation is available for service members who incur a permanent catastrophic injury or illness. SCAADL helps offset the loss of income by a primary Caregiver who provides non-medical care, support and assistance for the service member.

Q: Is SCAADL automatic?

A: No, the service member or guardian must apply, and a DoD or VA physician certifies eligibility. The service member should contact a member of his or her recovery team (such as the primary care manager, nurse case manager, Recovery Care Coordinator, non-medical case manager, or unit leadership) for the SCAADL application form and guidance.

Q: What steps should I take to apply?

A: Contact a member of your recovery team, such as the primary care manager, nurse case manager, Recovery Care Coordinator, non-medical case manager, AW2 Advocate or unit leadership for the SCAADL application and guidance. Your DoD or VA physician will complete a DD Form 2948. If your attending physician is not affiliated with DoD or VA, arrangements can be made by contacting your recovery team to have a DoD or VA physician review your case and complete the certification. Your application (DD Form 2948) will be forwarded, via your chain of command, to the Warrior Transition Command (WTC) for processing.

Q: Who receives the SCAADL payment?

A: SCAADL is paid directly to the service member, not the service member’s designated Caregiver. It is up to the service member to ensure the compensation flows accordingly.

Q: Can the Service Member or Caregiver accept gifts or donations?

A: There are rules about accepting gifts and donations. Every gift offer must be reviewed by the ethics advisor to avert any violation of ethics law. A variety of statutes and regulations govern acceptance of gifts to the Army, Soldiers, and their family members. When a Soldier or Family Member is approached regarding a gift or donation, they should notify their chain of command immediately to avert any violation of ethics law and identify who can accept or not accept such gratuities. The chain of command is knowledgeable regarding the policies and procedures for receiving, accepting, processing and reporting gifts offered by Non-Federal entities in accordance with 10 USC 2601, DOD 7000.14R (Vol. 12, Chapter 30), AR 1-100 and AR1 – 101 and DOD 5500.7-R. The chain of command can also direct them to the appropriate entities for IRS reporting or processing.

Q: What is the process for Soldiers to attend outings or events while at NSA Bethesda?

A: Soldiers are assessed by the SRB-NCR Inter-Disciplinary Team (IDT) using the Comprehensive Transition Plan Policy Guidance to ensure the event/outing contributes to the Soldier’s rehabilitation.

Q: How do NMAs or Caregivers request leave or respite care?

A: The NMA or Caregiver should coordinate leave or respite care requests with the Soldier’s designated Squad Leader (SL). The SL serves as the first line supervisor to the Soldier and the link to command. The SL is responsible for facilitating the resolution of administrative issues that may arise, and helps guide the Soldier through the process while enforcing military standards.

Q: As the NMA or Caregiver, who do I contact when I have questions or when issues arise?

A: The Soldier’s designated Squad Leader (SL) serves as the first line supervisor to the Soldier and the link to command. The SL is responsible for facilitating the resolution of any administrative issues that may arise, and can help guide the Soldier and the NMA or Caregiver through the process while enforcing military standards.

Q: As the NMA or Caregiver, where can I get health care for acute health issues?

A: The NMA is entitled to military evaluation and care on a space available basis at WRNMMC. The NMA will be required to provide information about their private health insurance to WRNMMC, and the Nurse Case Manager will assist the NMA or Caregiver to locate health care in the community based on their insurance plan if the care isn’t available at WRNMMC.

Q: Are there designated parking spots for Soldiers in Transition (STs) and/or NMA/Caregiver of the ST?

A: Yes, to facilitate NMAs of STs or Warriors parking, the NMA completes a parking request application (obtained from the ST’s Squad Leader). The NMA processes the application with the Navy installation. The NMA will need the following documents to process the parking application:
(a) NMA orders
(b) Car registration document
(c) Driver’s license
(d) Proof of Insurance

Once the application has been processed, the NMA will receive a parking placard to display on the dash of the car. The NMA is permitted to park in the following areas:
(a) Parking garages under Bldg. 17 and Sanctuary Hall
(b) Parking lots located in front of Bldgs. 60 and 61

Q: As an NMA or Caregiver, what do I do if I receive a parking citation?

A: You should contact the Soldier’s Squad Leader for guidance.

Q: Is there a place for me to obtain temporary items (housing items) during my stay at NSA Bethesda?

A: The SRB-NCR provides a Lending closet that’s managed by NMAs. The lending closet has items for NMAs to borrow during their stay such as pots, pans, baking dishes, etc. The Family Readiness Soldier Assistance point of contact can be contacted by the Soldier’s Squad Leader to assist the NMA or Caregiver with the lending closet.

Q: How are room assignments determined when the Soldier is ready to transfer from Inpatient to Outpatient lodging?

A: The transfer process is coordinated by the Soldier’s Inter-Disciplinary Team (IDT), Nurse Case Manager and the Soldier’s Squad Leader. A lodging outpatient room is determined by the Soldier’s health and rehabilitation needs. The case manager will meet with the Soldier and family and to do a room orientation and ensure the room meets the needs of the Soldier.

Q: Is there any training for NMAs or Caregivers?

A: Yes, The Department of the Army has initiated a formal training course for NMAs, Caregivers and their Soldier to provide support and assistance to the Service Member as they heal and recover.

Q: As a NMA or Caregiver, who do I see if I have questions about financial matters?

A: The Soldier’s Squad Leader is the first line supervisor and will provide referrals to the appropriate subject matter experts.

Q: What is the role of the Soldier Family Assistance Center (SFAC)?

A: The SFAC is a comprehensive centralized coordinating office that provides a variety of services for Soldiers in Transition and his/her family members. The SFAC supports hospitals and Warrior Transition Brigades by developing, coordinating and providing designated services that address complex administrative and personal needs involving Soldiers in Transition and his/her family members.

Q: What documents do I need to access day-care (Austin’s Room) in Bldg. 62 (Tranquility Hall)?

A: The family member needs to bring the birth certificate and shot record for each child.

Q: How do I contact the school liaison officer?

A: The school liaison officer can be contacted through the NSA Bethesda Fleet & Family Support Center, located on the first floor of Bldg. 11.

Q: What other organizations provide donations (personal toiletries, movies, books, clothing items, etc.) to family members or caregivers?

A: The American Red Cross Office located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and the SFAC and Warrior Family Coordination Cell (WFCC) located in Tranquility Hall (Bldg. 62), are often able to provide these types of items to family members and caregeivers.

Q: What does HIPAA stand for?

A: ”HIPAA” stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. This act is used to assure that all patients have a right to privacy.

Q. What does IDES stand for?

A. IDES stands for “Integrated Disability Evaluation System” which streamlines injured Soldiers’ benefits. It features a single set of disability medical examinations appropriate for determining both fitness and disability, and a single set of disability ratings provided by the VA.

Don't forget to keep your family's information up-to-date in DEERS.