Patient Resources

Single Parent Support

What are your hopes and dreams for your family? Are you finding basic needs? Join us on the road to basic needs AND your dreams!

General Information

We offer a wide range of support. Resources on base, from military sources, and in the community.

Emotional support for:

  • Encouragement, hope, and help
  • Feelings of isolation
  • Anxiety and stress
  • Coping

Financial help with:

  • Budgeting
  • Investing

How do we accomplish goals?

  • Training in many aspects relating to parenting. budgeting, housing, WIC, food stamps etc.
  • Unlimited one-on-one support - the buddy system is a reciprocal, two-way process; everyone both gives and receives helps at one time or another.
  • Referrals to appropriate agency. Agency helps with facilitation, provides guest speakers but parents have private time to share problems.


Military and civilian single parents, and any interested persons.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why should I join Single Parent Support Group?

To meet new friends with similar challenges while expanding the opportunities for your children. We realize how hard it is for single parents to mange their financial and time constraints because we are single parents! Through the sharing of ideas and support we overcome many obstacles with the help of our extended family of caring parents. The only thing you need to do, is take a chance and come to a gathering.

How often does SPSG meet and what do you do?

Once a month for educational topics. The meetings often include professional, specialized speakers who teach us various skills about being better parents. Open discussions are welcome and as members we have other single parents to share our challenges and successes.

How do I stay connected to my child during my deployment?

Record videotapes, record stories, send pictures and write letters.

What are some things I should discuss with my child before deployment?

  1. Why you are leaving
  2. Mark passing of time
  3. Importance of keeping in touch
  4. Continue to share special days

Who is required to complete a Family Care Plan?

Single and dual military parents.

What happens if I am delinquent with my Family Care Plan?

Service member name will be forwarded to legal after 60 days of notification; then possible discharge.

Why is my Family Care Plan paperwork so important?

Paperwork must be completed to help caregivers with dependent, commissary, exchange, etc.

How old should my caregiver be?

At least 21 years old cannot be another military member.

What paperwork should my caregiver have?

  1. Power of attorney
  2. Will
  3. Medical records
  4. Social security number

Emergency Preparedness

Operation Prepare, Navy Installations Command (CNIC)

Community Resources

Child Care Centers (Local Military)

  • Child Development Center at NSAB
  • Others:
    • Andrews AFB, MD - (301) 9981/9982
    • Bolling, AFB, DC - (202) 767-2890
    • Fort Belvoir, VA - (703) 806-4178/4345
    • Fort Meade, MD - (301) 677-1149/1146
    • Fort Myer, VA - (703) 696-4942
    • Henderson Hall, VA - (703) 614-7208/72000
    • Pentagon (POC: Cathy) - (703) 697-5085
    • U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD - (410) 293-9390/9391

Child Care Resources and Referral

Child Care Subsidy (Help for Paying Child Care)




  • Manna Food Center - A non-profit organization dedicated to the elimination of hunger in Montgomery County, call (301) 424-1130.



Don't forget to keep your family's information up-to-date in DEERS.